Education Faculty Moving (Again)

Leaked documents have revealed that the Education Faculty at Victoria University is planned to move location.

Victoria’s Faculty of Education administration is currently located on Level 8 of the Murphy Building, with the faculty’s 56 academic staff and 74 postgraduate students accommodated in the Wai-te-ata Apartments buildings.

The faculty offers programs that challenge and encourage students to “critically and creatively carve their own path in the world of education,” and offers courses in Education, Teacher Education, and Educational Psychology.

Until relocation in 2016, the Faculty of Education resided in Karori.

An anonymous leak has indicated that the plan is for the department to be relocated into the Kirk Building in 2020.

Kirk has been “allocated for Education”, however, what floors it will be allocated to are undetermined, due to requirements for earthquake strengthening. Planning for Kirk relocation has been in development since 2018.

“The Waiteata Road premises were always intended to be a temporary location for the Faculty of Education and we are in discussions where and when we will relocate,” said Professor Stephen Dobson, Dean of Education.

General space requirements include a “functional relationship” between the students and staff of the Faculty and School of Education (Te Puna Akopai), and to erase the “physical [location] barrier” between the administration and the rest of the faculty.

A waiting area for visitors and space for collegiality and academic and student growth is also envisioned. A space that enables Māori and Pasifika staff to feel it is a “tūrangawaewae” is also required under the Faculty of Education vision.

“All staff have had the opportunity to attend a staff meeting to discuss this issue and provide feedback,” Dobson said.

“They will again be given the chance to meet and provide feedback once we have clarification on the options.”

Members of the Education faculty are apparently unhappy and upset about this decision, although ^Salient has not been able to verify this.

The exact date for relocation is yet to be confirmed.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future