July 8, 2019 | by  | in News Splash |

Eye on the Exec: Two for the Price of One

Welcome back to student politics, neeerds. This week’s Eye on the Exec is extra special because although I myself am a neeerd, I am a lazy one; forgetting to write up either of the last two VUWSA meetings. Without further insult, I present to you: VUWSA exec meetings from May 23 and June 6. What a time to be alive.

Student Services Levy Review (Show Me the Money)

The student services levy (which is basically how VUW pays VUWSA) is being reviewed by its Advisory Committee. As part of this, VUWSA fleshed out its strategic priorities (neat). These include better support for Erica the Advocate, student consultation, and Stress Free Study Week services.

Other than it requiring VUWSA to do some paperwork, there’s not much else to say.

NZ University Students’ Association on Universities NZ Panel (The Collab We’ve All Been Waiting For)

Unis NZ is working on two of its priority areas, mental health and sexual harm prevention, with university students themselves. This involves the NZUSA execs selecting a candidate to sit on the UNZ panel. Tam and another student put their hands up. Unfortunately, Tam didn’t win.

Re-set 2019 (Free Food Week)

Re-set Week is coming up (it’s actually right now), which is an opportunity for students to refresh and rejuvenate themselves in time for Tri 2. In Tam’s own words, getting people ready to “smash” the rest of the year.

Tam also outlined her desire for greater emphasis on smashing the year, rather than smashing Scrumpy—“I don’t want it to be a piss-up”.

Lecture Recordings (What Do You Rec-kon?)

The petition run by Rinaldo to make lecture recordings consistent across the university has received around 1100 signatures and a lot of online exposure. After the June 6 meeting, the next big hurdle is getting the proposal past the Academic Board.

Sustainability Committee (Sussing for Students)

Michael outlined his work with both the university and Puawai on some sustainability projects. More info to come, but the committee has sent off a memorandum of understanding to Victoria on environmental issues. 

With Puawai, Michael has been co-ordinating the overlapping Sustainability and Māori Language Weeks for this trimester.

Reeferendum 2020 (Sussing for Students)

Speaking of green, there was an extensive discussion on what position VUWSA will take on next year’s marijuana legalisation referendum. Like true politicians, they decided they would ask students what they want, but still needed to decide what to actually ask.

Things To Keep An Eye On:

• New arts society on campus
  • Re-Set 2019
  • #ITooAmVic
  • Changes to the Clubs Constitution
  • Māori Language x Sustainability Week Collab
  • Changes to the Victoria Business School following criticism on a lack of diversity.
  • Education on the recent changes to Insulation Law
  • VUWSA’s Reeferendum Referendum
  • A Victoria Student Mental Health Report
  • Proposals for a Student Assembly (no idea what this would look like)
  • Changes to VUW’s Draft Sexual Harassment Policy
  • Compulsory Lecture Recordings

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,