July 8, 2019 | by  | in News Splash |

KJ Contract Renewal

As the curtain rises on another trimester, Victoria University of Wellington has renewed their contract with the organisation responsible for catering all Vic uni halls.

Since signing with caterers Compass Group New Zealand Ltd and its subsidiary Eurest’ there have been multiple complaints regarding food served within halls of residence.

Katharine Jermyn hall, in particular, has been under fire, with complaints continuing after the contract renewal with Compass Group.

A concerned parent voiced their ongoing distress for their child within the hall, regarding the quality of the food being served: “If I see one more disgusting photo of the feral cuisine that is dished up, and that the students are expected to eat, I am going to the media.” 

The parent also told Salient, “here we are halfway through the year and KJ is still persisting with these caterers”.

“You are going to have wellbeing issues next at that hall,” the parent continued.

Rainsforth Dix, Director of Student and Campus Living, provided ^Salient with a response to complaints made by the parent: “Students in our halls of residence, and their parents, are right to expect good quality food to be served at all times.”

“We have worked closely with the catering contractor, and continue to do so, to resolve issues and ensure good quality meals,” Dix continued.

This is not the first time KJ has been put in the spotlight for their lacklustre catering. ^Salient undertook an investigation into the hall’s infamous cooking last trimester, after photos surfaced of undercooked and bloody chicken, with feathers still attached.

Since then, further examination of meals within the halls of residence has been an issue around the uni, with halls such as Boulcott and Weir House going under the microscope.

While the Student and Campus Living committee encourage residents, parents, and whānau to speak up, should they have any concerns or complaints, in order to “address these immediately”.

The concerned parent echoed this sentiment. “Parents pay good money to have their students fed.”

“In some cases, like my [child], it is them paying as the parents cannot afford to, and when they cannot face what is dished up, they cannot afford to go buy another meal, [they are] therefore not eating,” they remarked.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,