August 5, 2019 | by  | in Fashion |

From the Hutt to the World

Mean Fit: From the Hutt to the World

Our Pacific fashion community both here in New Zealand and around the world is thriving. Utilising Pacific ingenuity, the work of both designers and creatives alike are reflective of their Pacific roots through ethical processes, indigenous representation, and an overall sustainable and inclusive ethos. The power of social media and a need for Pacific presence has supported the growth of many fashion industry creatives, from stylist and director Sammy Salsa (@sammysalsastyle) to the Queer Indigenous collective FAFSWAG, an interdisciplinary arts company championing social issues through cultural activism. (@fafswag)

Overseas

Emilia Wickstead, of Samoan descent, is a New Zealand designer who featured “ordinary yet extraordinary New Zealand women” in the May issue of British Vogue. Displaying her latest collection in collaboration with the Woolmark Company, Wickstead seized the opportunity to have the spotlight on women from home who emulate courage and ambition while making their mark on the world. The designer celebrated faces not normally found within the pages of a fashion magazine, many of Pacific descent.

Closer to Home

Papa Clothing, designed by Keva Rands, is recognised as one of New Zealand’s local talents—specialising in natural fabrics and made-to-order pieces created in her Auckland studio. With connections to Fiji, Hawaii, Samoa and Tongareva, Rands carries with her a unique lineage, and named Papa after her own namesake. Available via ^papaclothing.co.nz

Lumai, also based in Auckland, is a label fronted by Papua New Guinean-born Dru Douglas. Capturing modern cuts and templates, the designer also takes on an interdisciplinary mission. Inspired by Papua New Guinea identity and its history of globalisation, Douglas also supports women’s artisanal collectives across the Pacific.

More to Explore

@layplan

Wellington-based duo Lavinia and Talia, custom-made statement pieces, iconic for their bright colours, gathered frills, and faith-driven success.

@moanacurrents

Coming September 2019, a NZ Fashion Museum exhibition curated by Doris de Pont and Dan Ahwa, exploring modern Aotearoa Style with a Māori/Pacific inflection.

@huntinggroundstore

A New Zealand-owned and operated company, collection of new and pre-owned casual/luxury/one-off pieces.

The Hutt: Delivering Streetwear, Everywhere

Justine Taito

The number of streetwear and thrifted clothing business pages on Instagram has increased dramatically; you have surely stumbled across one. Lately, there has been a rise in local Polynesian individuals and groups creating their own quality streetwear brands and thrifted companies, specialising in branded and designer gears to cop at a fair price. Ideal for sole and sugas on the student budget but still wanting to look luxurious. 

Being a proud individual from the good old Hutt Valley, I want to acknowledge a couple of these brown businesses from the best region in Wellington (*insert eyes emoji*) doing the absolute most to get that bread.

Today, streetwear is evolving by rewinding time, with the influence of the 90’s and early 2000s hip-hop having a significant impact on style. The return of graphic tees, cool-looking sweatpants, bright-coloured outerwear, and fly vintage-looking sneakers; Gender-neutral streetwear has so far proven progression. 

Two local creators on the rise are Young Thrifted & Broke and I.N.A APPAREL.

@YTANDB

Young Thrifted & Broke, as it says in the name, delivers highly affordable gears for young and broke individuals (like us @ Vic, yay). The small Hutt Valley-based business is noticeably growing day by day on Instagram and has also created successful pop-up sale stores for locals in recent times. With the progress of fast fashion and landfills having un-loved clothing as the quickest growing form of waste, @YTANDB focuses on sustainable fashion, the importance of recycling, and saving quality streetwear grails.

@I.N.A_APPAREL

This emerging brand explores the need for diversity for men’s clothing, with its “Unfiltered Man” collection. In which believing that men’s fashion, lack the variety of clothing as compared to women’s wear; challenging the traditional idea of masculinity with its epic pastel palette of garments. This collection and other work by Ina Malama, the brain behind the brand, are set to be showcased for Fashion Week 2020 in all four fashion capitals of the world: New York, London, Paris, and Milan.