August 5, 2019 | by  | in Arts |

Pasifika Students’ Council (PSC)

We, as the Pasifika Students’ Council, extend our warm Pacific greetings to you all – to every reader, student and member of our community – we widely welcome and embrace all Pasifika cultures walking in and out of doors of Victoria University of Wellington. The Pasifika Students’ Council (PSC) are the representative group for all Pasifika students at Victoria University of Wellington that provides spiritual, cultural, social and most significantly, academic events throughout the year. If you are an individual who identifies themselves to be of Pacific descent – we are your family. Your aiga. Your system of support to seek for various different aspects of your student experience. 

Our mission statement as the Executive team, is to create a Pasifika home for Pasifika students. Come one, come all. As a team, we work very hard to ensure that as much as a lot of our efforts go towards our own academic studies, we remember that our Pasifika cultures are rooted in honour, genuine inclusion and love for every single Pasifika student of this institution. While we all have contrasting qualities, what binds us together is our support and encouragement for our brown brothers and sisters. This is what highlights our strengths as Pasifika people. While our heritage and roots tie back to different islands scattered across the Pacific ocean, our purpose here at Victoria University is vital for our PSC family to function. 

Founded by Pasifika Pro Vice-Chancellor Luamanuvao Winnie Laban and the Pasifika Students of 2012, the legacy of the Pasifika Students’ Council will underpin the goal of bringing together students’ with prosperous futures with the hopes that we champion the change within our Pacific communities. Our stance in Wellington, even in New Zealand has and will have a ripple effect based on our talents, knowledge and preservation of our different Pacific cultures. 

We look forward to growing our Pasifika community here at Victoria University. We are your vaka. We are with you. We are for you. And we will always stand beside you. 

Fa’afetai tele lava. 

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future