Are You There Youths? It’s me, people who want to be your mayor

With the Wellington City Mayoral race in full swing, Salient sat down with both mayoral candidate Conor Hill and incumbent Justin Lester to talk about some of the main focuses of their campaigns. Keep an eye on ^Salient for our interviews with other mayoral candidates in the coming issues.

Have there been any significant updates regarding the rental property Warrant of Fitness?

Lester: We had a change of government and they’ve introduced the healthy homes guarantee. The health care legislation that came through Parliament has now been approved, which has minimum standards for insulation and minimum requirements around heating for housing as well.”

Hill: “I would like to adapt the current rental warrant fitness. Currently, only landlords can apply for that. I think tenants should be able to apply for the rental warrant of fitness and I think the council should pay for that.”

We have a number of VUW students currently running for Wellington City Council, what would be your advice to them?

Lester: “Be yourself. Be genuine. But most of all, work hard, because every election I’ve seen, those with the best knowledge and the best ideas and the best track record, they’re candidates that tend to win.”

Hill: “Honestly, I’d be taking advice from them. This is my first time running a campaign, so I’m on a steep learning curve.”

With carbon emissions being added to the Resource Management Act, what environmental areas of focus will you be narrowing in on?

Lester: “I think we ought to focus on public transport because it is so important to the city’s function, and to the city’s focus on climate change and emission reduction as well—because 58% of our emissions come from transport. We want an organisation that’s really focused on public transport provision.”

Hill: “As mayor, I would push to actually start implicating, start making moves based on that [declaration of] climate change emergency. A week after that climate change emergency was declared, Justin Lester opened a petrol station. To me, that’s just a cynical empty declaration of climate change emergency.