Hot Takes – What is the main issue you are voting for in the upcoming local body elections?”

Hot Takes is a section where, every two weeks, Rostra (PolSoc’s very own publication) sends out a question to the masses for their takes on them. Rostra gives us three to publish and keeps the rest for their own website.

This week, the question was, “What is the main issue you are voting for in the upcoming local body elections?”

Keep an eye out for Rostra’s fortnightly Hot Take question on the PolSoc Facebook page. If you’re interested in writing for Rostra, contact them through rostra@vuwpolsoc.com 

Getting A’s-into-G Around Transport and Housing – Hugo Beale

I hate to cheat but there are actually two main issues that I’m looking at when I’m voting this year.

1. Transport – I want the regional and city councils to get their a-into-g and sort out the broken public transport system. If I live in an area where buses come infrequently, a cancelled service becomes the difference between class and no class. I also want to see both forward-thinking and investment into modern mass-transit that will attract people away from their cars and into more sustainable transportation.

1. Housing – I want to see a modern approach to housing, which means advocating for increased density where it has the least impact. A lot of people and/or councillors don’t like the idea of density, but Wellington is growing every day and is in desperate need of affordable housing for students, workers, and families alike.

A Seat on the Bus, a Seat at the Table – Lars Thompson (Rostra Editor)

As students, we are often told how important it is for us to vote and have our say. There is no shortage of candidates who desperately want to hear from us on issues ranging from mental health, to rental standards, to public transport etc. Every candidate will tell us they have our best interests at heart and will be taking our views into consideration.

They will aim for the best outcomes they can possibly get without jeopardising their other voter bases, and without having truly walked a day in our shoes. That’s the truth.  

Tertiary discounts on public transport was a major win for us, but it took years and years of advocacy. Only once a majority of elected candidates had publicly committed to endorsing Fairer Fares was there even the possibility it would actually occur. Even then, there were no certainties, and debate over the issue continued well past the election. We were on the outside, beating on the windows of the regional council, hoping our concerns would be still taken seriously now the vote was in.

I don’t want young people on the outside looking in, forever hoping to gain the favour of powerful old men. I want us students at the table.  

Hungry for DemocracyNathan Holmes

I’m going to vote on the likelihood of the candidate doing a Macca’s run with me at 1 a.m. I’m going to vote based on who my parents would find most annoying and who my flatmate reckons will be the biggest meme. I will vote on whether their billboards show them in the city centre or lost in the hills somewhere pretending they don’t need to ask for directions. I’m going to use single transferable voting to rank the candidates on hotness. They will lose points if I find any of them were using an old pic in their profiles or clearly been out on a Macca’s run the night before.

Most of all, I’ll be voting on our screwed-up public transport system, how the council never picks up our recycling, and all the other issues that actually matter, DUH.