School Strike for Climate Staying Hot in Fight Against Global Warming

Victoria University and VUWSA have endorsed the intergenerational School Strike for Climate planned from September 27. The strike follows two school strikes earlier this year. 

Connie Brown, a member of the group organising the strike on campus, says that coordinating has required communication and negotiation with people in other parts of New Zealand and overseas, including communicating with the City Council, VUWSA, and university administration.

“The university have been really supportive of us,” Brown says. All classes for the duration of the strike will be recorded and tests during the time can be rescheduled.

“VUWSA encourages all students to come along and stand in solidarity with us. Let’s demand urgent action on the climate crisis from the New Zealand government and fight for our future,” said VUWSA president Tamatha Paul. 

“There is a pressing need for universities like ours to lead change. We do this through our teaching and research, by reducing our own carbon footprint, and through positive, collective action like this.” said Vice Chancellor Grant Guildford in a statement. 

A contingent of marchers from VUW will be meeting at the Tim Beaglehole courtyard at 10:30 a.m. on September 27, then walking down the Terrace and along Cuba Street to Civic Square, joining the main strike, which leaves Civic Square at noon to head towards Parliament.

On campus, SS4C members are co-hosting the strike with 350 Pacific, the Pacific Climate Warriors group. 

Helena Fuluifaga Chan Fuong, a member of the group, said, “This partnership is super important because we’re all going to be affected by climate change and we are going to be affected in different ways.”

Internationally, the main action was on Sep 20. However, due to mock exams, the organisers of the New Zealand protest decided to reschedule for Sep 27, the last day of school term, so that it is easier for school students to attend.

NZUSA, the representative group for student associations in New Zealand, also endorses the strike. 

“Twenty years down the track, if you weren’t there, you’re going to regret it,” said Abi O’Regan, another member of the climate strike organisational team. 

“Universities are supposed to be the critical consciousness of society so it’s important that we engage.”