The Eyes Have It: Local Teen Vandalises Councillor’s Billboards to Reignite Romance

This election cycle, local councillor Chris Calvi-Freeman has found many of his billboards across the Eastern Ward vandalised in an especially disturbing way. 

“I found a few hoardings with eyes carved out, it’s really weird. You know, it’s normal to have a few with the odd swastika or graffitti but someone put  real effort in this year; it looks a bit munted, to be honest.”

Salient did a bit of digging, and it turns out there’s more to this story than the councillor’s lack of vision.

Police have apprehended a young man who admitted the crime to his mother. She came to the police in a desperate attempt to stop her son.

“He’s become obsessed with the councillor. I found a shrine in his wardrobe to Chris Calvi-Freeman whom he affectionately calls ‘Daddy’ in private.” 

“He says he met the councillor a few months ago and began a relationship with him. I was hoping it was just a normal teenage crush, but it didn’t pass.” 

Salient talked with the young man, who asked not to be named but said that Chris would know the vandalism was a gift from him. 

“I just couldn’t help but fall in love with him. His eyes are mesmerising. We haven’t spoken in person since we first met, but if you listen closely, you can see all his speeches are coded love letters.” 

“It was a whirlwind of romance.”

“But then, tragedy struck. In a recent debate I saw him wink at someone else. I was heartbroken.” 

“After a while, I decided that I would do my best to get him back. I thought this would be the best way to get his attention.”

Police have offered to drop the charge if the young man goes to counselling. He’s currently on the Student Health waiting list but doubts it will help. 

“I’m in love and this is how I’m expressing that. It’s my art and I think Chris gets that.”

When z6Salient confronted the councillor he denied the affair, saying “what”.