How to make friends and influence people: Write for Salient 2013!

by / January 29, 2013

HOW TO GET INVOLVED IN 2013

If you would like to apply for a specific paid/non-paid position, please send an email to editor@salient.org.nz with the position(s) you wish to apply for and why you are applying, along with a copy of your CV and 1-2 writing samples (writing samples not necessary for Chief Sub-Editor, Web-Editor, and Distributor).
Applications for specific paid/non-paid positions close at 5pm, Monday 4th February. 

If you are pitching a column, please send us an outline of your idea, including estimated length (page/half-page, etc) and some idea of various topics you may cover throughout the year. Please include in your email 1-2 samples of your writing. If you have already sent us a pitch for a column, we have not forgotten you! We have it on file, so you don’t need to pitch to us again.
Applications for columns close at 5pm, Friday 8th February.

If you would like to write news, or arts please let us know in an email and we’ll add you to the relevant mailing list.

If you aren’t really sure what you want to do, email us! We’ll add you to the mailing list so you’ll receive fortnightly updates calling for volunteers to contribute to the upcoming issues.

PAID POSITIONS

News Editor: (15 hours paid per week)
It’s fun, it’s exciting, it’s The News. The News Editor is in charge of the entire news section (generally 6-8 pages) of the magazine every week. This means sourcing content; conducting interviews; writing stories, and leading a team of volunteers and two news writers, which involves training writers, editing stories, and delegating work.
The News Editor will work closely with the Editors to ensure we print hard-hitting journalism in the magazine each week.
News writing experience is not essential, but preferred. Full training will be provided to the successful applicant. An interest in VUWSA/University issues is a must.
Keen to be the Master of the News Scoop this year? Apply today!  

Feature Writers: (two positions available, 4 hours paid per week each)
The paid Feature Writers will be responsible for each producing a 1-3 page feature every week. Topics for features will sometimes be directed by the Editors, but Feature Writers will also be expected to produce ideas of their own. Topics will generally relate to the week’s theme but more general topics may be required as well. Applicants for the paid Feature Writer positions need to have some writing experience, and be willing to conduct the necessary research and interviews for their work. If Feature Writing sounds like your cup of tea, please apply!

Chief Sub-Editor: (5 hours paid per week)
The Chief Sub-Editor is in charge of making sure our words are spelt right each week. As well as checking the magazines content for spelling and grammar mistakes, the Chief Sub-Editor is also in charge of delegating sub-editing work to volunteers. No sub-editing experience is necessary, but a sharp eye for errors and a passion for punctuation is a must. Will be expected to stay later on the magazine’s production night (Thursday). If you’re silly for syntax (and spotted the grammatical error in this job description) this might just be the job for you! Go on, apply!

Web Editor: (5 hours paid per week)
This year we’re giving the Salient website a complete overhaul and need someone to take care of it for us. The Web Editor will be in charge of uploading the magazine’s content to the site each week, as well as sourcing and managing online-only content, and overlooking SalientTV projects. Technology skillz are a must. Want to be the ruler of our domain? Apply today!

Distributor: (3 hours paid per week)
The distributor is in charge of delivering Salient to all the off-campus sites every Monday morning. This includes filling all of the magazine stands at the University’s satellite campuses (Karori, Te Aro, Pipitea), and delivering copies to a number of other sites around town. Perks involve getting to drive the VUWSA van to the tune of Chamillionaire’s “Ridin’ Dirty” every week. As such, a full, clean, manual New Zealand Drivers License is a must for all applicants. Keen to take the VUWSA wheels for a spin each week? Apply now!

UNPAID POSITIONS

Arts Editor:
Creative types, take charge of Salient’s Arts section! The Arts Editor is responsible for overall content of the five specialised arts pages each week (Books, Music, Film, Theatre, Visual Arts). The Arts Editor will coordinate content with the five specialised arts editors (see below), and will do a final read-through and edit of the arts content before it is sent to the Editors each week.

Books/Music/Film/Theatre/Visual Arts Editors:
Each of these pages needs an Editor to look after it. The specialised arts Editors are in charge of the content of their page each week, which includes writing, conducting interviews, and editing volunteers’ work. You will report to the Arts Editor.

News Interns: (two positions available)
We have two News Intern positions available in 2013 for budding news journalists. The News Interns will receive ongoing training and support from the News Editor, and are expected to produce one news story each week. And at the end of it all, you’ll get a sweet certificate attesting your mad news-writing skills for your portfolio (or your Mum).

GENERAL ROLES

Columnists: Got something to say? We have a number of vacancies for columns this year, so if you’ve got an idea, please send us your pitch! In 2013 the majority of the columns will be printed on a fortnightly basis, which takes a bit of the pressure off. At this stage you don’t need an idea for every single column, but if you have a general theme to follow that generally makes it a bit easier to come up with ideas for an entire year. While we’re open to all forms of pitches, we need writers for: food/drink; politics (left, right, neutral); life advice; sex; science; economics.

Writers: We’ve got 45 pages of the magazine to fill, and we sure as hell can’t do it ourselves! We’re always in need of new writers, whether it be news, arts, features, interviews, columns, opinion pieces, or a good old fashioned letter. If you’ve got an idea for something you’d like to see in Salient, please let us know! Otherwise, stay on the mailing list and pitch for more specific themes as they come up week to week.

SalientTV: We want to get SalientTV back up and running on a more regular basis in 2013. If you’re interested in writing, making, editing, or starring in videos, we’d love to hear from you!

Sub-editors: If you’ve got a good eye for proofreading and a passion for all things spelling and grammar, please help us make Salient perfect. Full training provided, and you get to hang out in the office with us.

Cartoonists/Illustrators: Can you draw things? We can’t! Send us your work and make our pages look more beautiful! If you have an idea for a regular cartoon, please send us an email – we’d love to hear from you.

Photographers: Make our magazine more interesting! We’re on the lookout for photographers to cover university-related events, or submit original photography. If you’re interested, send us an email.