Out Of The Cabinet

by / July 31, 2006

I got the call at 3.25, which gave me approximately 15 minutes to run down to the Beehive. It wasn’t going to be easy. While people of normal leg-span can get from Kelburn to Parliament quite comfortably in 10 minutes, it takes me 15 given I recklessly run across roads and generally look like a competitive walker on P. But I made it to the my first post-Cabinet press conference in time. In fact, my lateness was eclipsed by that of Helen herself.

I’ve had press gallery accreditation on behalf of the Aotearoa Student Press Association for most of the year, but I’ve never got around to going to one of these press conferences. My predecessor Keith used to go every week and gave the impression that they were very exciting and dramatic. Maybe I just got a bad one.

The most interesting line of questioning was the sudden interest that the press gallery had in the health of Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters. Apparently he’s holed up in some Brisbane hospital after being bitten by an unknown creature in Malaysia (although, Clark could confirm that it was not a journalist. Thank goodness, that could have been fatal.)

I did get a little bit excited when Clark mentioned tertiary education, but it turned out to be something to do with some acronym I’ve never heard of and probably will never hear about ever again.

Neither James and I have blogged recently. We’ve both been really busy, and I think the novelty has worn off somewhat. Anyway, there’s lots happening this week, from the fees forum tomorrow (12, Cotton 122), to Academic Idol contender Grant Morris getting locked in a cage to advance human rights on Thursday. Fun times.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Greg says:

Actually, that raises a question: how many shots does a foreign affairs minister get? Did Peters take the usual raft of medication recommended before going to Malaysia? Does Condi get all her shots before spending time in the Middle East?
    Or do they just flag them because they are only spending one day there?

2. blogetee says:

only you greg would actually be interested in such idiocy

3. Nicola Kean says:

Omg Nicola kean….. my names Nicola Kean… stealer….have fun with your forums… And keep up the grea work :)

4. Nicola Kean says:

That is so weird.

5. Joshua Drummond says:

Nexus is watching you.

6. Stephanie says:

Nicola, Next time you get an emergency call to get yourself down to the Beehive, you should catch the cable car. Much quicker than walking down the hill, don’t you know. Plus you can enjoy that view of the gym showers on the way.

7. blogetee says:

actually no its not stephanie
    you must be from auckland

8. Jono Newton says:

Ok is blogetee the same person as blogette?? I’m confused, mind you that is common in the middle of a procrastination about writing up and assignment or 10.

9. blogetee says:

it is also because you are an idiot

10. Jono Newton says:

haha, I’m an idiot?? you are the one who keeps spouting useless shit…

11. blogette'shusband says:

no my friend you are a little tosser

12. bloggette says:

oi, who is this pseudonym who is not me?
    stop it please.