04/04/11
by

Lovin From The Oven

Have you done it yet?

Recently, my flatmate decided it was his time. Something possessed him to purchase a small vacuum-packed parcel of tofu on a trip to New World: perhaps it was its rubbery texture, or its off-white complexion, or just a moment of temporary insanity. Upon seeing it in the fridge, we assumed he was a closet tofu-fiend, only to discover he’d never cooked the stuff in his life, and so instinctively he turned to me with a look of helplessness in his eyes. But I had never cooked the shit either! And so we embarked on the journey hand-in-hand.

The internet informs me that tofu is coagulated soy milk, pressed into a block (what’s not to love?), and that it tastes best marinated and fried. I have eaten it numerous times, sometimes in tasty sushi or floating, not so appetisingly, in my miso. It has never been something I have taken much interest in but it’s not so offensive that I choose to avoid it either.

Fried Tofu

1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
½ cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 packet of firm tofu

Chop the tofu into roughly 1.5cm cubes. Mix all other ingredients into a bowl; one with a large surface area is best. Pop the tofu into the marinade and leave to sit for at least 5 minutes. Heat a pan/wok and pour in 1 tbsp of oil. You want the pan to be quite hot when you put the tofu in so it goes yummy and crispy. Throw in the tofu and stir fry for about 5mins or until lightly crispy and browned.

My flatmate, being a man of simplicity (or laziness) decided to eat it on its own with no accompaniment. And by no stretch of the truth, it was delicious. But if you want something a little more fancy, add some vege to your stir fry and serve with some soba noodles, extra soy sauce and some chopped spring onion.

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Jordman says:

Your flatmate sounds like a rockin kinda guy. Bet he rocks a mean chicken pie too.

2. Sarah-Lee says:

Um…what sort of person would eat tofu on its own? Could have at least saved half of it. With this other half, I would include it in a tasty meal to share with my obviously curious, flatmate.

3. Jordman says:

” what sort of person would eat tofu on it’s own?”

A visionary.