Partisan Hacks

by / August 20, 2012

Salient  asked:

“Do you support the Electoral Commission’s recommendations for adjusting the thresholds of the Mixed Member Proportional electoral system?” 

The hacks respond…

Act on Campus – Michael Warren:

We support the retention of the 5 per cent party vote threshold and the existing one seat threshold. The 5 per cent party vote threshold is widely understood in political circles and stops the proliferation of small parties, while the one seat threshold has so far contributed towards stable government. These examples prove that there is no reason for change.

NZ First Youth – Josh Van Veen: 

No. We had a referendum to put the five percent threshold in place, we should have a referendum to lower it.

Vic Labour – Reed Fleming:

Yes. The Electoral Commission engaged with the public and have delivered recommendations which will make our elections more democratic. Removing the “coat-tailing” loophole and lowering the threshold will make Parliament more representative and democratic. It puts and end to the days of dirty deals that we saw in Epsom in 2011 which has given this government the votes it needs to sell off our most precious assets.

Greens at Vic – Harriet Farquhar:

The Electoral Commission’s recommendations must be taken up by the Government. Lowering the party vote threshold to 4 per cent will help reduce wasted votes, while still ensuring Parliamentary stability. Meanwhile, getting rid of the ‘1 seat rule’, (which most New Zealanders are in favour of abolishing) where an MP who wins an electorate seat can bring in other MPs even if they don’t reach the party vote threshold, will help to ensure that everyone’s vote counts equally.

Vic Nats:

Unfortunately, Vic Nats did not respond to Salient’s quite reasonable query this week. Shame, that.