Partisan Hacks – Freedom

by / 21/05/12

Salient asked, “Do you support the proposed changed to the drinking age?” The Hacks respond…

NZ First – Curwen Rolinson

NZ First Youth believes the actual issue people want to see action on is worrying levels of public intoxication across all levels, and feel that a simple increase in the age of purchase will do little to crack down on, say, 24 year old binge drinkers. We would like to see the return to the statute-books of a Drunk & Disorderly offence, and believe the public punitive examples made of dangerous intoxication will be instrumental in affecting the much-debated culture change. On the other hand, if the age for on-licenses does go up, we expect that the quality of live gigs and entertainment will increase to at least pre-1998 levels.

ACT On Campus – Michael Warren

ACT on Campus is vehemently opposed to raising the purchase age of alcohol, whether it be in the form of a split age or not. We believe as citizens we deserve the right of any other adult to purchase alcohol from restaurants, bars, supermarkets and other retail outlets. Our organisation is a strong supporter of Keep It 18, a group that disagrees with the Government’s proposal to increase the purchase age to 20 at liquor stores and supermarkets.

Vic Labour – Lydia ‘Scrumpt4every1′ Mckinnon

VicLabour is absolutely committed to keeping the drinking age at 18. The proposed law change is an ineffective solution which unfairly scapegoats 18 and 19 year olds for a problem that is caused by all New Zealanders. If the law change is successful, VicLabour will continue to advocate for an 18 purchase age. This issue could return under the next parliament so it is important to keep Kiwis and MPs aware of the injustice it would cause.

Greens @ Vic – Harriet Farquar

We need to address alcohol as a social problem, not a youth problem. Scapegoating young people is simply not going to solve the wider issue. While all the youth wings support keeping it 18, the Green Party is the only party to have specific policy in favour of retaining the drinking age at 18. If the age is raised? We will campaign for sensible alcohol policy, and this policy would be implemented were we in Government.

Vic nats – Christian hermansen

Yes. The VicNats have been an active lobbyist in the ‘Keep it 18’ campaign since early 2006. We will continue to lobby and support the freedom and rights of 18 year olds to keep doing so.