Presidential Address

by / 26/03/12

I hope you’ve all had a great start to the Trimester and are beginning to settle back into study.

REVIEW OF UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION

If you were studying at Victoria last year, you would have (hopefully) been aware that the University began a Review of Undergraduate Education. One of the key objectives of Victoria’s Learning and Teaching Strategy is to ‘establish a distinctive vision for education and the student experience at Victoria’. To further this objective, the University launched the review of Undergraduate Education in mid 2011.

Last year VUWSA gathered 409 student submissions and provided a submission on the initial consultation document. The Review’s working parties and Steering Committee have taken this submission, along with others from Faculties and staff and have now released a second document for consultation. Entitled ‘The New Victoria Learning Partnership’ the paper provides some specific recommendations about how to improve Teaching and Learning, in all its facets, at this University.

So far the Review’s working parties and Steering Committee have been extremely responsive to student’s ideas and concerns brought forward through the VUWSA submission. Many of our recommendations have made it through to this second stage of consultation. Some examples of these include:

▴ Standardised nomenclature and common points systems to reduce confusion and create a more transparent and consistent learning and teaching environment

▴ Effective use of contemporary learning technologies to foster student engagement and build digital literacy

▴ The availability of opportunities for placements, practical, internships and exchange programmes, as appropriate to each academic programme or major

It’s great to see that many student recommendations have come through to this second consultation document, however it’s important to remember that none of this has yet been confirmed. It’s important that students are still feeding back their views on this second consultation document.

Head over to our facebook page (facebook.com/vuwsa) and find the link on our wall to the Review of Undergraduate Education survey and fill it out. We have asked some specific questions about themes in the second consultation document—so all you need to do is tell us whether you think they’re great, average or a bit lame.

This review could really change the way that undergraduate education occurs at Victoria, so make sure you get involved and find out what the issues are. We want to know what students like you think about these proposed themes and recommendations, so that we can feed this up to the Steering Committee.

VUWSA INITIAL GENERAL MEETING

On Wednesday VUWSA will be hosting our Initial General Meeting at 1pm in SU217/218.

General Meetings are the highest decision-making body of VUWSA. They are your opportunity to ask your reps questions about their work during the year and how they’ve dealt with certain issues. We’ll be presenting the 2011 Annual Report and 2012-2015 Strategic Plan for adoption at the meeting and we also have a few minor constitutional amendments to move. For more information on the Constitutional changes you can check out or website or the VUWSA notice board out the front of the Kelburn Office.

To sweeten the deal we’ll even be having a free pizza lunch and we’ve got 2 double movie passes to give away. Remember that you will need to bring your student ID card with your VUWSA membership sticker on it to be able to speak and vote in the meeting. If you don’t have your sticker yet don’t worry—we’ll be able to sort it out.

I hope to see a ton of you at the IGM on Wednesday—and don’t forget to fill out our Undergrad Review survey!