13/09/10
by

Quick student meals

All year our flat has debated which recipes we regularly use are actually suited to students. Our pantry is stocked, with two shelves just for spices. At this time of year it’s getting more and more important to spend time on Facebook pretending to study, so we settled on these quick, fast, healthy-ish and filling recipes.

Katie’s noodle

Ingredients
One pack of Mi Goreng blue noodles
A few handfuls of frozen veges
One egg, or leftover meat chopped thinly (optional)

Method
Make the noodles per packet directions. If you don’t have Mi Goreng noodles, instead of adding the flavour to the water, put it in a bowl with a bit of soya sauce and 1/4tsp oil. Stir the flavouring, soya sauce and oil.

Put the noodles into boiling water with the veges and microwave 3-5 minutes. Fry the egg, if using, and leave the yolk runny. Once the noodles are cooked, drain, and put into the flavoured bowl, add the fried egg or chopped meat, and give it an almighty stir until everything is coated. Nomnomnomnom.

Cheesy tuna pasta

There are no real measurements as it depends on taste, but a good amount would be:

Ingredients
2 cups of uncooked pasta spirals
1 tin flaked dolphin friendly tuna—flavoured is really good, like the tomato chilli or lemon pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese
A bit of salt and pepper

Method
Cook pasta, drain and put back into the saucepan. Add everything else and give it a big stir until everything’s coated. This sounds like a lot of food, but it usually will serve two people, who will still be licking the bowls and wondering if there’s any left in the saucepan.

Oh crap, veges!

Take all of the veges in the fridge, for example: capsicum, onion, carrot, celery, mushroom, parsnip, kumara, potato, broccoli, cauliflower (careful with the last two as the edges may crisp before the middle cooks)

Peel anything in need of peeling, and chop roughly. If the vegetable in question cooks quickly (mushroom, broccoli, celery, courgette, capsicum), then cut it into big pieces. If it cooks slowly, cut into smaller pieces. Put them all in a lidded ovenproof pot (or a tray with tinfoil on top), and make sure they’re all a little spread out, but touching one another nonetheless. Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper, give it a big stir, and chuck in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the veges are cooked.

This is really good with mashed potato, a side of meat, etc, but is also good on its own as a way to eat all those veges which are about to go off!