Salient rates: Computer labs on campus

by / 24/05/10

Not all of us can be fucked bringing a laptop to uni every day. Those of us who can’t afford a decent lappy, or would just rather leave it at home, are familiar with the phenomenon of lining up for a computer at one of the many computer labs on campus. No, this is not another rant about people using Facebook while you’re tenth in line waiting for a computer with an hour until your 2000-word essay is due. Nope, this week, Salient rates the best and worst computer labs on campus.

Any floor of the library 7/10
The computer labs on the first and second floors of the library are probably two of the nicest places to browse the internet (for research, of course) and write essays. There are lots of windows, it’s light and airy, and in winter they even turn the heaters on. The only problem: it’s basically mission impossible to get a computer there unless you show up at 8am and settle yourself in for the day, snacks included. But to be honest, it’s kind of worth the early start or half-hour wait. When you get bored you can watch people walk past in the quad.

The one in the atrium of the Student Union Building 1/10
There are no windows. And it’s kind of stuffy. It smells a little funky too. You also get all the noise from other goings on in the atrium (like those guitar players), and it’s really awkward to line up and wait for a computer. Where do you stand?

Second floor Murphy, to the right of the lifts 2/10
I really hope they’ve improved the computers in here since last time I used them. I used to come across broken keyboards all the time. Or, like, one crucial letter wouldn’t work. Or the whole keyboard wouldn’t work. Or there wouldn’t be a chair. Sigh. Oh, and there’s no cellphone reception.

Design and Architecture library 4/10
When this place is deserted, it’s perfect. It’s quiet, there’s not too many people around, and there’s usually heaps free computers. Sure, if you’re not a design or arch kid, the books are of no use, but at least it’s a nice change of scenery. If the computer lab is packed, however, you end up knocking elbows with your neighbour, and it gets a little hot and sweaty in there. Oh, and people start talking. Loudly.

The “very leftest lab on the second floor of Murphy” aka “the one with Firefox” 8.5/10
I’ve never been there, but a couple of boys in the Salient office swear by this place. It has Firefox, air conditioning, and I’m told it smells nice. It has giant windows that overlook a green garden. It sounds really rather nice. Sometimes they have classes in there, which is both a distraction and an annoyance. But other than that, it sounds perfect.

Third floor of the Railway Wing at Pipitea 7/10
Again, I’ve never been there, but in the interests of appealing to Salient readers across all campuses, it was decided to include a computer lab at Pipitea. This one apparently has headphones and feels a lot like an internet cafe. A nice internet cafe. Wow. If anyone can tell us about the state of the computer labs at Karori, it would be much appreciated.