Thing You Already Know But Just Need To Be Told

by / 16/07/12

To Do

Read every day. Read something by someone who isn’t white and isn’t male every day. Don’t hit the snooze button. Hit the snooze button only once. Only turn off alarm when actually standing. Swear audibly when it’s suddenly two hours later. Brush teeth every morning and night. Brush teeth most evenings. Don’t listen to commercial radio. Don’t listen to talk radio. If you have to pretend that you only like something ironically, change the people who you share your interests with. If you have to check whether you smell, have a shower. Quit smoking. Quit smoking tomorrow. Quit smoking when you have the time to hate everything. Stop hating everything. Stop laughing sarcastically. Listen to people who take the time to talk to you. Nothing is good enough to eat three days in a row. Drink more water. Stop making your stance on the best method of  consumption of alcohol a keystone of your personality. Calm down. Sit down. Shut up. Write across the back of your hand: ‘None of this really matters if everyone is still breathing.’ Remember birthdays and not just because of Facebook. Remember that everything is always more complex that it seems. Remember that everything you assume about other people is probably wrong. Stop speculating about other people’s relationships because everything is different on the inside. Don’t whine about the people who give you money unless they are actually hurting you. Stop whining about things that you’re not willing to change. You are allowed to whine about things that you are not able to change but please understand that those things are very rare. Stop stressing, it’ll just make you hurt more and die quicker. Stop worrying about what people think. Drive as if there is a cop right behind you. Walk as if you are in a hurry. Smile. Stop playing with people’s feelings, people aren’t toys. You don’t need better tools, you just need to do more. Stop putting things off, it doesn’t make them easier. It makes them harder. Only lie when it’s for someone else’s benefit. Remember that most people are just as hard off as you. Remember that most people hate themselves just as much as you do. Stop being afraid of children, I mean, what are they going to do to you? Dribble on you to death? Stop condescending. Even to people who are dumber than you. Practise empathy with every waking moment. Only apologise when you mean it and sound like you mean it. Stop delaying whatever it is you are delaying right now. New pair of socks every day. Don’t read the comments. Don’t make comments. If you won’t put your real name to it, don’t write or say it. Check you’ve shut all the windows every night before you go to sleep, that’s why you’re so cold in the mornings. Stop needing reasons, sometimes just doing things is fine. When everything feels overwhelming, first, look at your hands, remember everything you have achieved with them, and think about how you have gotten through things before and you will this time too, then, look at the sky and think about how nothing matters anyway when faced with the insurmountable indifference of nature. You are not alone. You are not special. You are just a person but that is enough and if you want anything more than that, if you think you deserve anything more than that, you need to relearn a lot of things. Breathe.

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Genevieve says:

Yum. Oh, yummy.

2. Fabric gets loose, and light colored chairs stain easily.
    You can buy kitchen furniture that is warm, beautiful and alluring and at the same time practical
    and efficient. You’ll want to be sure to choose comfortable dining chairs that will make your family want to linger over their morning coffee.