VUWSA Presidential Address

by / July 30, 2012

When I ran for VUWSA President in September last year one of my election promises was to run a Governance Review. It was my view that the current governance structure wasn’t working as effectively as it could and that changes needed to be made to ensure that VUWSA remained a strong, responsive, student-led organisation.

The governance structure of VUWSA has not been comprehensively reviewed since 1989. However since that time there have been a number of portfolios added and removed from the VUWSA Executive, new committees created and significant staff restructuring has taken place.  There have also been significant changes to the environment VUWSA operates in with the introduction of Voluntary Student Membership.

In April this year a Working Party was established to undertake this Governance Review and after two rounds of consultation with members, students and other stakeholders the Working Party has now produced a Final Report and a series of recommendations.

These recommendations have been formed following feedback through Green Paper and White Paper consultation, alongside discussions with current and past Executive members.

All up there are 13 recommendations that are being put forward by the Working Party. Some of them are very standard and straightforward, such as investigating new ways of informing members about VUWSA elections and candidates. Others are more controversial, such as the recommendation to change the composition of the Executive. If passed, the recommendation will see the Executive comprised of a President, Academic, Welfare and Engagement Vice Presidents and an Education, Welfare and Sustainability, Equity, Clubs and Activities and Campaigns Officers.

The Final Report is available at the Kelburn VUWSA Office or you can download it off the VUWSA website. VUWSA is your students’ association and we are committed to ensuring that we are working in the best interests of students at Victoria. So pick up or download a copy of the report, have a read over the comments and recommendations and come to the VUWSA AGM on the 22nd August to have your say.

In the lead up to the AGM the Working Party will also be holding a series of meetings to discuss the report and answer and questions about the recommendations or substance of the report.  You can attend one of the following meetings:

Kelburn: Monday 13th August 10 – 11am, SU216 (Clubs Lounge) & Thursday 16th August 2-3pm, SU216 (Clubs Lounge),

Pipitea: Tuesday 14th August, 10.30am – 11.30am VUWSA Pipitea Office, GB08

Te Aro: Wednesday 15th August 3pm – 4pm, Te Aro Student Common Room

Karori: Friday 17th August 11am – 12pm, Karori Student Common Room

I urge you to get all involved – VUWSA is YOUR students’ assocation, so make sure you have your say. As always, if you have any questions you can give me an email on president@vuwsa.org.nz