Week in Politics

by / September 29, 2008

The Week in Politics

Winston Saga semi resolved

Embattled NZ First leader Winston Peters has been censured by parliament. This basically equates to being told off by your mum’s friend when you’ve been caught smoking in the garden shed.

Buses fucked. Students have to walk up hill.

No doubt stirred on by ex-VUWSA president Nick Kelly, bus drivers employed by GO Wellington were locked out last week after demanding raises to their minimum wage. Maybe if so many of them weren’t cunts they’d get what they want.

Brian Donnally R.I.P.

Ex-NZ First MP Brian Donnally passed away last Thursday. He was a good cunt and will be sadly missed.

MPs leave Parliament

Many MPs are delivering their valedictory speechs in parliament at the moment. Valdectory speeches are a good thing to go down and see if you can manage it so do it. Or Salient will kick you.

Fonterra is under scrutiny from the government after claims that contaminated milk may have been sold in NZ. Thank god I am not a toddler.

Week on the Blogs

It was a heavy week on the blogs with more than 150 comments, mainly due to coverage of the VUWSA election.

We had posts from Stephen Whittington, Nick Kelly, a reply from Sonny Thomas, a letter from Jasmine Freemantle to the returning officer alleging a dirty campaign by Thomas and a statement from the Post Graduate Students Association.

Jackson got down with his political self and blogged about the small stakes that are thrown up into the air during a VUWSA election as well as reviving Salient TV with video content of the Candidates debate.

Comment of the Week

Peter Manglethwaite on Jasmine Freemantle’s complaint to the Returning Officer [Abridged]

“I never said anything about anyone presenting anything resembling an argument. What I did however observe was that your appearances on this website occur when a Workers Party member puts up their wand and sends out red sparks. And just like in the Goblet of Fire, communism, Marxism blahdy blahdy blah is all a fictional tale told to children to make them hope for a better future.”

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.