Eye On Exec

by / 10/09/12

INSIDE THE MONEY-HOLE; BUT WHERE THE BISCUITS AT?

“Meeting opened at-”

“Um, can we do a quorum check please?” says Clubs Officer Reed Fleming

“All voting executive members please raise their hands” says President Bridie Hood.

All voting executive members raise their hands.

“I’ll count this side of the room,” says Activities Officer Andreas Triandafilidis

“I’ve got this side… I have four” says Hood.

“I have five”

The meeting opens, minutes are passed.

The executive discussed the Blues Awards for sporting achievement at Victoria. Hood informed the executive there will be an open bar, and an anecdote was shared in which one inebriated member vomited “like three times” after the same event last year.

Fleming attempts to bribe Salient with a chocolate biscuit in order to have the anecdote retrospectively spoken in committee.

Stay classy VUWSA.

The executive then proceeded to have a lengthy and confusing discussion about work reports and hours. It was concluded that only Campaigns Officer Adele Redmond had been paid for hours that she had not worked.

Because the AGM lost quorum before the Governance Review’s proposed constitutional changes could be passed, it was resolved that an SGM would be held on Wednesday 12 August and nominations for the 2013 executive would open the following day.

The executive also decided that it would ask if VUWSA should formally support Louisa Wall’s marriage equality bill at the SGM. It was hoped the issue would attract enough students for the meeting to reach quorum.

Queer Officer Gen Fowler requested a $1000 donation towards the marriage equality campaign.

All members were in favour of donating the money, but because this would be extra

spending, Treasurer William Guzzo said he was unable to say where that money would come from without consulting the association manager.

Vice-President (Welfare) Rory McCourt said the executive should pledge to donate the money regardless of whether they could budget for it. He argued they should take the money from the reserves if they couldn’t.

The executive considered giving only $500 to the campaign, with another $500 being donated on the condition that their budget allowed for it.

But after discussing the possible areas of the budget the money could be sourced from, the executive ultimately decided to pledge the full $1000, and to consult the budget with the association manager at a later date.

Conversation then turned to drafting the proposal for O Week 2013.

“I would love a pyjama party” Redmond said.