28/05/12
by

News On The March

• The world this week

☛  It’s freedom time in Egypt as the citizens of the ancient land take to the polling stations in the country’s first free presidential elections. Perhaps now someone can finally bring democracy to the USA.

• ☛  A fire breaks out on the USS Miami, a nuclear submarine moored in Maine, injuring five firefighters and two others. Unfortunately, the reactor was not “on” at the time, and the state of Maine narrowly escaped nuclear destruction.
  • ☛  In a reflection of the broader economic turmoil, European businesses fall to a near three-year low, fuel particularly by political crisis in Greece. Salient asks: come on, really, does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?
  • ☛  SpaceX become the first private company to service the International Space Station. Initial reports indicate hat space is actually really really high up in the sky and space is actually really really big.
  • ☛  In a somewhat characteristic display of obsessive-compulsiveness, Beijing authorities issue a new ordinance that public toilets must contain no more that two flies at any one time, in a bid to improve the hygiene standards of the notorious amenities. It is unclear whether the ordinance prescribes limits on the number of human occupants.
  • ☛  One Geraldine resident launches
    a campaign to agitate the local Community Board into installing a footpath on Main North Rd. Despite the honourable goals behind the burgeoning grass-roots campaign, current filibustering by local bodies suggest the cause may be devoured by the ever-hungry rural bureaucracy.