05/06/12
by

VUWSA Ruins Lunch

This is why we can’t have nice things

VUWSA disrupted over one hundred students last Wednesday when it held its by-election candidates’ forum during the lunchtime rush at the Hunter Lounge. Fortunately, as there were no questions, and a poor showing of candidates, the interruption only lasted 15 minutes.

Both candidates for Welfare Vice-President were present. Student, and mother, Novyl Saeed Kureshi said she would bring that touch to the role. Rory McCourt‒who has been acting Vice-President (Welfare) since Ta’ase Vaoga resigned in April‒apologised to the apathetic crowd students trying to drink $3.50 handles of Castlepoint, and spoke of his achievements while filling in the position.

Only two or the four candidates for the International Students’ Officer position came to speak at the forum. In a change from recent years, both candidates Ade Lola Bamgbose and Vaishna Santhar, spoke of wanting to make more of an effort in bringing the different cultures international students into the wider Victoria community.

President Bridie Hood thought this was a positive thing. “In the past we had quite an active International Students’ Council, but it hasn’t been very active in the last couple of years,” she said.

“International students face different barriers and challenges to domestic students, and VUWSA should be supporting ways in breaking down those barriers.”

Advertising for both the event and by-election has been almost non-existent. One executive member insider said they didn’t even know about the forum until the day before.

Voting closes at 4pm on Friday. Candidates’ bios and details on how to partake in student democracy can be found on page 26.