March 1, 2004 | by  | in Music |

Profile :: The Bleeders

Opening for Sommerset is emerging Auckland outfit The Bleeders, bringing together an “innovative sound, drawing influence from Punk, Hardcore & Rock”. The group is made up of musicians (Angelo Munro – Vocals, Gareth Stack – Bass, Ian King – Guitar, Hadleigh O’Donald – Guitar, King George Clark – Drums) who have had vast experience in the New Zealand Punk/Hardcore scene in acts such as, DSM, Evil Priest, Malcontent, Smooth Jimmies, Kid Nuisance & AOV. According to Real Groove magazine “The Bleeders bring it straightest, but that’s no diss. They’ve got something boiling inside ‘em that needs getting out.”

Debuting in early 2003 the band has secured opening slots for international bands such as Hot Water Music, Strung Out, The Ataris and the Hope Conspiracy. They quickly signed to and coming punk label 1157 Records (home to Missing Teeth and This Night Creeps) and recorded the ‘A Bleeding Heart’ EP at York Street studios in July, in time for an October release. The band’s success was elevated when they were announced winners of the Space Coca-Cola Launch pad competition, which provided funding to create a music video for the single ‘A Bleeding Heart’.

The song is a non-stop rollicking hardcore fiasco with a fantastic poppy sing-a-long chorus. It spent 12 weeks on the 95BFM top 10 and received good airplay on channel Z and the Rock. The video (starring Sommerset drummer and part-time stud Jay Dougray) has also seen heavy rotation on C4 & Juice TV. October/November saw the band back on the road with a full national tour in support of the EP, followed by a December / January tour with Blindspott and a Big Day Out slot. The Bleeders are a hot band in New Zealand at the moment and it will be a privilege to see their high intensity show on Wednesday night.

Recommended Listening
A Bleeding Heart EP (2003)

More info: www.elevenfiftyseven.com