June 27, 2006 | by  | in News |

Campus’ to be tarted up – Redevelopment planning under way

Negotiations are under way on the future design of the Victoria campuses over the next ten years, and how accommodation and social spaces for students will be handled.

The campus redevelopment plan was set in motion last year, and a draft policy is due to be completed by the end of the month. On-campus accommodation has been identified as a special concern, as it is deemed by the University Council to be an important part of the university experience.

While every year there is a waiting list of several hundred for both catered and self-catered accommodation, Vic Students’ Association (VUWSA) President Nick Kelly believed the University is focusing too much on hostel accommodation and what is needed most is self-contained accommodation, such as the flats on Wai-Te-Ata Road.

Kelly says that although the redevelopment plan mostly focuses on the Kelburn and Pipitea campuses, many of the changes are long overdue. He also agreed wholeheartedly (“hell yes!”) on the issue of renovating the Quad.

He says VUWSA would like to see more student services in the Quad, but was not clear on how this could be done. Using surrounding buildings was a one idea, and it would be “awesome” if what is currently Uni Stop could be used, but he had doubts about the possibility of this.

Director of Facilities Management, Jenny Bentley says that the issue of the Quad was one that was continually brought up by staff and students. The plan aims to discuss whether the Quad is the best place for a central gathering place and whether it can be upgraded.

Kelly added that the future of the Karori campus was an issue as it was very small and long way from the rest of the University.