Money Tight for Union too – Rec Centre Prices Might Rise

Increasing prices at the Rec Centre was among the options presented to the new Union Board to deal with an increasingly strained financial situation of the Union.

The first meeting of the Board was held less than a week after the new Union Building governance documents were officially signed.

The Board, made up of two representatives of the University, one representative of VUWSA and another from the VUWSA Trust, helps to oversee the operation of the Union. the wing of the University that manages nonacademic facilities.

The VUWSA Trust representative on the Board, Dave Guerin, says that although a proposal has yet to be finalised, raising prices for both students and staff at the Rec Centre was an option as “money is tight”.

Union Manager Rainsforth Dix compared the Union’s financial situation to that of VUWSA with rising costs and a static income, except that funding was provided by the University rather than students.

Dix says that, while a number of options for changes have been tabled, “something’s got to go”.

However, a final decision on the Rec Centre charges will not be made until the Union budget is finalised. Guerin says while the budget was not approved at the meeting because the Board was still establishing itself, this was “not any great problem”.

He says the first meeting was productive, with a majority of the agenda devoted to the student union services review, on which there had been a “good mix of feedback”.

The Board will next meet in mid-October to start work on a strategic plan for the building.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.