May 28, 2007 | by  | in Film |

28 Weeks Later

It’s 28 Weeks Later and we still have abrasive industrial techno music and blood crazed zombies on P. This time the difference is that Danny Boyle has handed the franchise over to Spanish director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo who delivers the aftermath of a Britain destroyed by the ‘rage’ virus.

All of the infected have died of starvation and American led NATO forces have invaded Britain with the task of finding the survivors and cleaning up all the decaying bodies. Robert Carlyle plays Don a cowardly survivor who abandoned his wife to the zombies when they attacked the cottage they were holed up in. Reunited with his two precocious adolescent kids, they become refugees in a Green Zone in London that’s eerily reminiscent of the occupation of Baghdad.

The film starts to plod along and you begin to wonder when the action is going to start and all of a sudden it does, with a vengeance. Don’s wife has been discovered alive and seems to be immune to the virus despite sporting bite marks. However it soon becomes apparent that she is a carrier of the disease and before long it spreads throughout the refugees.

Chillingly ‘Code Red’ is soon declared and the troops are ordered to kill everyone, including the non infected. The echoes of Iraq are not lost on the audience as the line between the greater good and atrocity are blurred. Things go from bad to worse as the entire zone is fire bombed and some of the infected make it on the loose.

This sequel is certainly darker; 28 Days Later is just another Day of the Triffids crossed with The Omega Man. Here things seem to have been taken up a notch further without things getting bogged down with the ego and paranoia of Christopher Eccleston.

JUAN CARLOS FRESNADILLO