Nominations open for by-election

By-elections for two positions on VUWSA’s exec are at last being held.

With the appointment of a Returning Officer (Pippa Strom), the elections of both the Education Officer (Welfare) and Women’s Rights Officer (WRO) will take place over the week of Monday 28th May.

The highly-publicised opening of both positions came after Acting Women’s Rights Officer Clelia Opie had her co-option rescinded and Education Officer Chris Renwick resigned to focus on his studies.

Two new members, Jenna Butt and Georgina Dickson, have since been co-opted onto the exec as Acting WRO and Education Officer respectively. Both intend to run for these positions in the upcoming by-election.

Strom hopes to “create a situation where there is no excuse not to vote”, and to overcome the historical trend of low voter return in VUWSA elections.

Last year’s April by-election attracted 345 voters – around 1.7 percent of Vic students.

Nominations are currently being taken, and are due by Friday, May 18. Nomination forms can be obtained at the VUWSA office and the returning officer will be in touch with all nominees.

The vote itself takes place over the following week, May 28 to June 1.

For more information on the by-election, and obtaining nomination forms and candidate profiles, check out www.vuwsa.org.nz, or pop into VUWSA’s Kelburn office.