Wellington students’ acronyms to caucus

A Wellington students’ associations caucus is to be set up by VUWSA and Massey University Student Association (MAWSA), along with Weltec Students’ Association and Whitireia Community Polytechnic Students’ Association.

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward says the aim is to create a Wellington group that will work to create a strong voice in issues relating to students.

The students’ associations aim to create a group separate from NZUSA, but will seek to work with them at a later stage.

Auckland University, Auckland University of Technology and Massey Albany students’ associations have had a caucus for a number of years and it has proven a success, says Hayward.

MAWSA President Sean Gillespie says the caucus will provide an opportunity to raise communal issues, such as public transport concessions for students.

Being part of the same region enables the student associations to establish a unified voice which is significant in a lobbying process with the regional council and the government on such issues, says Gillespie.