February 25, 2008 | by  | in Visual Arts |

Adam Art Gallery

Adam Art Gallery is an art gallery situated in the middle of the university. When you’re feeling bored between lectures and feel like looking at something pretty, go pay them a visit. They’re up by the Student Union Building – just turn left before the National Bank/Vic Books entrance. It’s FREE!

Adam Art Gallery is currently running the exhibition Opposites Attract, in conjunction with the International Arts Festival. This exhibition features three separate displays.

Taranaki-based Tom Kreisler has contributed doodles of everyday objects from mid-20th century New Zealand life, and scribblings of dancing animals. Emerging New Zealand artist Sam Morrison has constructed sculptures out of plastic tubing, buckets, boots and wooden axles which spin around. Hidden downstairs in the dark are the video displays of Portuguese artists Joao Maria Gusmao and Pedro Paiva.

Opposites Attract was opened on Friday the 15th of February, accompanied by distorted synth-sounds from duo Cortina, and a sausage sizzle to bring in some working-class reality to the arts scene. The exhibition runs until the 20th of April, so pop in some time, it’s right in the middle of campus. Oh, and did I mention it’s free?

1. Dear Nathaniel
  2. The Social Lives of Group Chats
  3. We Don’t Do Vegetables
  4. Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  5. Audit – Law Revue
  6. The Last Supper: VUW and VUWSA on KJ
  7. VUW’s Own Gloria Fraser Develops Queer Mental Health Resources
  8. Issue 21 – Default
  9. Biophilic buildings— ‘The living pā’ complex
  10. Te Panekiretanga o Te Reo Māori