“Hori” Waikato cars to hit Palmy

Students from Waikato University are planning a “spiritual successor” to the notorious Undie 500, an annual car rally and party held between Canterbury and Otago Universities which attracted heavy criticism last year following a breakout of alcohol-fuelled rioting.

According to the Waikato Student Union (WSU), about 30 cars will travel from Waikato University to Massey University in Palmerston North during the Hori 440 on September 19. Co-organiser and WSU director Andrew James was quick to point out that the purpose of the event was not “a booze trip.”

Each car, required to be road-legal to enter, is likely to carry five people – including a designated sober driver. Vehicles will be decorated, and among the prizes will be once for the vehicle which records the lowest fuel consumptions.

Massey University Student Association President, Ying-Yue Zhao, said that the involvement of Palmerston North’s students would be minimal.

“Waikato have been in contact with me, but I think they rather want to retain full ownership of the event. We will help promote it and make some suggestions about venues, but everything else is over to them,” Ms Zhao said.

“It’s a copy of the Undie 500, but obviously they don’t want any bad media coverage. Given the amount of planning they are doing, I think it has the capacity to be a really successful event,” she said.

A post-rally event had reportedly been planned, but would be held well away from Palmerston North’s central business district. James said discussions with police were ongoing, and that the event had not yet received the official support of management at Waikato and Massey Universities. Organisers, however, were confident that the event would not result in drunken chaos.

1. Something Big is Coming says:

Pfft, “Undie 500″. More like Lun—