University offers new design degree

The University has announced plans to introduce a new three-year Bachelor of Design Innovation (BDI), offering three specialisations in Culture+Context, Industrial and Media.

According to Head of School Professor Simon Fraser, the degree – to be implemented from 2009 – will provide students with more variety in the qualifications that are available as well as a greater opportunity to tailor their course of study according to their individual interest and intended careers.

“Design is increasingly understood as a multidisciplinary activity. Because of the growing importance of collaborative work, the ability to work effectively across disciplines and in multi-disciplinary teams is a critical workplace competency for new graduates,”

The Bachelor of Design Innovation will replace the Digital Media Design and Industrial Design programmes within the fouryear Bachelor of Design degree. A Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture or Landscape Architecture will remain intact.

A new field of Interaction Design, concerned with shaping a user’s experience as they interact with intelligent objects, smart environments and other people, will also be available as a minor for students specialising in Industrial or Media design. It is the first such qualification in New Zealand.

Students enrolled in Culture+Context will also be offered minors from a wide range of complementary disciplines within Victoria University such as film, anthropology, Maori studies or marketing, in addition to their studies in design.

The three-year undergraduate degree will lead into a two-year Master of Design Innovation (MDI), to be introduced in 2012 pending approval from the New Zealand Committee on University Academic Programmes.

Fraser explained: “A Bachelor of Design Innovation more accurately reflects the experimental approach to design and design education that we practice at Victoria.”

“Since innovation can only be achieved by research, these two-tier qualifications signal the research-led nature of our programmes that students will be exposed to, and participating in, from day one.”