Change to graduation process

From next month, students who fulfil the requirements for their degrees, diplomas or certificates will have 12 months to apply to have their qualifications granted.

Previously, students were able to leave their qualifications unconferred indefinitely.

“Getting your qualification granted means we can confirm its authenticity to an employer or other academic institutions if needed,” Graduation Coordinator Fay Julian said.

Students will still be able to choose to graduate at a ceremony, or have the qualifications granted in absentia and then posted to them.

However, Julian added that students who wished to defer their graduation beyond 12 months – for example, if they were undertaking further study, or had a similarly valid reason for a deferral – can contact the Graduation Office or choose the “defer” option when completing the online graduation form.

“Once you’ve completed your qualification you will be sent an email about the graduation process and how to apply to have your qualification granted,” Julian said. “It is important students keep their contact details on myVictoria up to date and provide an alternative email address to your student email address so the Graduation Office can contact you about graduating once you have left university.”

If the Graduation Office has not heard from students who have completed their studies within the 12 month period, their qualifications will be granted in absentia at the following June council meeting.

Students who hold unconferred degrees are unable to vote in the University’s Court of Convocation. The Graduation Office will also be unable to confirm their qualification if requested to do so.

All students who have graduated in the past do not need to follow this process, unless they are currently completing further study.