English students upset with course cuts

I mean, they learn English—they’re not Brits. Well, they could be, but…

Students enrolled in English Language classes at Victoria University have voiced unhappiness with a series of cuts to courses in the department for next year.

The cuts will see a number of classes that teach medieval and old English literature be removed as part of the merging of the English Language and English Literature majors.

Students upset with the decision have met with faculty staff to discuss their unhappiness, and circulated a petition to students in English and Classics classes.

The petition netted over 320 signatures from students asking for the faculty to maintain medieval English classes next year.

Students were also upset with an apparent lack of consultation with faculty prior to the decision. It was included among a list of grievances delivered to faculty staff, in addition to a series of appraisals from former students in favour of keeping the classes.

As reported by Salient, Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Deborah Willis said that students enrolled in the English Language major would be given leave to complete their degrees by 2013. But concerns have arisen that this may not be possible.

A series of compulsory 200 level classes needed to complete the major will not be offered next year, leaving students in a state of limbo.

The organisers of the petition are hoping for further consultation during the department’s upcoming course program meetings.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.