Itty Bits of Newsness

Filthy Victorians offered opportunity to live like human beings

Victoria University has released a new sustainability guide designed to clue staff and students in on its new environmental platform.

The guide offers advice and ideas on how to be more environmentally sustainable while at university, and covers commuting, travel, energy, waste, food, teaching and research.

An online version of the guide is available through Victoria’s environment website, and hard copies—produced on recycled paper—can also be ordered.

The guide can be viewed here.

Memorial Theatre upgrade complete, Launch Arcologies prepare for lift off

The recently refurbished Memorial Theatre, located in the Student Union Building, will become a dual purpose bastion of learning prowess, according to Victoria University’s facilities management.

The theatre, which has been staging lectures since the beginning of the second trimester, is set to be used more frequently following the destruction of the Easterfield lecture theatre in 2010.

It will also maintain its functionality as a venue for performances for clubs, rep groups and musicians.

Victoria University Facilities Management Project Manager Lisa Bishop said the benefits of the upgrade were obvious.

“When the refurbished theatre opened its doors early July the benefits to both students and external theatrical companies was clearly evident,” she said.

“Audiences, who experienced the hot and stuffy theatre in previous years, will be well aware of the improvements to the ventilation and cooling system when they next visit the theatre.”

New sushi place opens on campus :D

Sushi fans at Victoria University are excited to hear of a new all-purpose sushi café opening at Kelburn’s campus this week.

Basement Café, located on the ground floor of the Student Union Building, has hired “authentic” Japanese sushi chef “Yoshi” to preen its existing menu and sushi-fy it.

Yoshi, whose specialties include sushi, tempura and bento, moved to Wellington two years ago after owning his own restaurant in the sushi-friendly South Island.

Basement Sushi Cafe Manager Jeffry Craanen said he was looking forward to welcoming Yoshi to the new café.

Former colleagues Mario and Luigi were unavailable for comment.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future