News in Briefton

Polytechnic staff to strike, classes you don’t attend to be disrupted

Tertiary Education Union members at six polytechnics have voted overwhelmingly in favour of taking industrial action in response to proposed changes to their working hours.

Teachers from NorthTec, Bay of Plenty Polytechnic, Waikato Institute of Technology, Western Institute of Technology in Taranaki, Whitireia Polytechnic and Unitec have taken umbrage with a 10-day increase to their working year.

TEU National Industrial Officer Irena Brorens said teachers were becoming increasingly frustrated with the disregard shown for their work.

“At the meetings [teachers] said they felt aggrieved by the pay offer and the total disregard by employers for the flexibility that already exists in the collective agreement,” Brorens
said.

Students unprepared for life in the poor house

A Canterbury University PhD study has shown that students’ expectations about student debt are out of kilter with the reality of tertiary study.

School leavers surveyed in the study estimated their average expenditure per year studying would be $12,209—considerably less than the actual total of $19,610.

The study by Steve Haultain said students were not fully informed about the real costs of taking out a student loan, nor of any other options available.

An Auckland University of Technology study last year said that while average student debt levels increased by 67 percent between 1995 and 2004, income levels for first-year graduates increased by only 19 percent over the same period.

This is the end. This is the end of dog racing… no, wait, shitty old email. Dog racing’s still on. Woof.

Students still knocking about in the stone age of Victoria’s email system will need to jump on board the fast train to MyVUW when the old system closes this Saturday.

Victoria’s Information Technology Service launched its Exchange Labs/Outlook Live email system late last year, and while most students have made the switch, some are still hanging on.

Those smart enough to log into the new system will go in the draw to win “some great prizes,” ITS has advised.

Those who like email and/or prizes are encouraged to log in to the new system before 17 September or miss out… not so much on the email, that’ll still be there, but on the prizes.

FOOTY

A Victoria University student has uncovered what anyone who’s ever footied a footy has known since the dawn of footy.

Nick Wilson PhD candidate Nick Wilson spent time researching the use of expletives by local footy teams.

Wilson’s analysis revealed that footy players had a propensity to use swears before, during and after footy.

“The team captain uses ‘fucking’ as an emotional intensifier in to motivate the players, to strengthen team solidarity and to perform as a leader,” Wilson explained.

Every footy whoever footied a footy will fucking footy a footy for-fucking-footy-ever. Footy.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

10. International Queer in Review