Sunshine Savoury Mini-Muffins

food

We are on to the last stretch of academic exertion, and although the sun is showing its head every once in a while, sometimes some human-made cheer is in order. These mini muffins are perfect with a cup of tea and are flavoursome enough to jazz up an ordinary lunch. I made these in silicone mini-muffin trays that people keep bestowing on me (I am very grateful). If you only have normal muffin tins they will work just fine too, but be sure to grease them well if you ever want to get your muffins out!

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of salt
Good grinding of cracked pepper
1 and 3/4 cup water
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup grated cheese
3/4 cup grated carrot and/or grated pumpkin
Scant 1/4 cup finely diced onion
2 stalks of spring onion, finely chopped

Preheat your oven to 18°C fan bake.

Sift together the dry ingredients (including paprika and seasoning) and then beat in the egg, oil and water to make a batter. Do not over-mix or your muffins will be tough. Stir through the remaining ingredients.

Put spoonfuls into your prepared muffin tins, being careful not to leave any drips on the outskirts of the tray—these will burn and possibly set off your smoke alarm. If you do drip muffin batter everywhere, use a clean sponge or a paper towel to wipe off the drips. If you are using silicone muffin trays then place them on a baking sheet for ease in getting them in and out of the oven.

Bake for around 25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden and the cheese is happily bubbling away. Check to see that they are done by tearing one apart and making sure that it is cooked through. This recipe made 36 mini muffins.

Yum!