September 21, 2009 | by  | in Books |

The New Zealand Republic Handbook

books

New Zealand has been wandering down a dangerous path of political discourse lately. Between painfully phrased plebiscites, pro-smack acolytes proselytising moral panic, locking prisoners up in shipping crates and nanny state arguments, there is a glimmer of hope. A thin sliver, that somewhere in New Zealand someone cares about deliberative democracy.

The New Zealand Republic Handbook sets out to be exactly what the title leads you to expect. This thin volume sets out a compelling argument for New Zealand to become a republic in a logical and well-written fashion.

The author Lewis Holden is the chair of the New Zealand Republican movement.

Unlike most manifestos distributed by people with political ambitions, this one doesn’t resort to invective rhetoric or slanting of facts. The information contained in The Republic Handbook addresses both sides of the argument, bringing a balance to the reading. To a point this is more of an exercise in ‘know your enemy’ than actually treating Monarchism as a serious threat. By laying the arguments out for all to see you open them up to critique and debate.

This is truly the start of a grass roots movement by the NZ Republican Movement. Putting this information out there in an easily digestible form not only provokes debate, but leads people to the logical conclusion. Worth a read even if you love the Queen.

The New Zealand Republic Handbook
By L J Holden
Self published

Between 1pm and 3pm on Wednesday 23 September Lewis Holden will be on campus in the Atrium of the Student Union Building talking about Republicanism in New Zealand.

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism