The VUWSA Welfare Team and You

exec

The VUWSA Welfare Team is one of the core aspects of your Students’ Association. It exists to ensure you have the necessary support, services and advocacy during your time at Victoria University.

As head of the Welfare Team it is my responsibility that VUWSA is meeting the welfare needs of its members and that various initiatives get started and are executed well. With the help of the Welfare Officer and with support from the Welfare Advocacy Organiser staff member this year has been an extremely positive one for the Welfare Team and students with more to come.

Ranging from the three-day free flu shot clinic that vaccinated nearly 500 students against influenza, to the creation of dedicated welfare staff member to advocate on your behalf in within the university, to the timely establishment of Campus Angels at Te Aro Campus in light of recent attacks and the growth in the usage of the Food Bank.

There are a few key things to keep a look out for as the trimester draws to a close. The first will see the Welfare Team setting up at Kelburn and Pipitea campuses from the 19 to 24 October running the trimester two Stress Free Study Week breakfasts. Come get a feed of your favourite cereals, toast and spreads fruit, tea, coffee, and milo. We’ll also be venturing down to the Architecture and Design School for midnight feasts of yummy goodness.

Second, the Welfare Team is in the process of creating a new combination of the VUWSA Cookbook, Know Your Rights Guide, and Sex Mag into one publication. I’ve been sourcing recipes from Phil Goff, John Key, Kevin Rudd and numerous other people but need your help. If you have an easy to make recipe flick it to me with a little blurb and I’ll include it in the publication. The final publication will be printed and available as a PDF on VUWSA’s new website.

Also don’t forget about the service that the Welfare Advocacy Organiser can provide you. If you ever have issues with a course from assessment to grievances, or you are having issues with your tenancy or employer get in touch with Seann at wao@vuwsa.org.nz. He will be able to help you out directly or assist you by putting you in touch with other relevant services.

VUWSA Stress Free Study Week—October 19—24 Kelburn Library Foyer and Law School Common Room from 8am. Te Aro Mid Night Feasts TBA.

Send your recipes for the new VUWSA Cookbook to wvp@vuwsa.org.nz.

Seamus Brady, Vice-President (Welfare)
wvp@vuwsa.org.nz

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine