VUWSA AGM this week, changes to Salient charter proposed

VUWSA will hold its yearly AGM this Wednesday with a number of motions being posed, but a proposed change to the Salient charter has drawn criticism.

An amendment to the charter posed by VUWSA Clubs Officer Masha Kupriyenko would require Salient to provide regular coverage of club news and views in the form of a dedicated weekly page.

The motion also calls for the Publications Editor and the Clubs Officer to liaison with clubs on a regular basis.

Salient Editor Jackson James Wood has called the amendment completely unnecessary, as the magazine already provides adequate coverage for clubs in the form of the notices page.

Salient has a notices page which is extensively used by some clubs. Our news section has consistently featured stories about clubs,” Wood said.

Wood also took umbrage with the manner in which the proposed amendment was brought forward, and Kupriyenko’s insistence that the changes are just what clubs want.

“The first I heard of the motion was when it was posted on the VUWSA noticeboard. The first time Masha came to talk to me was [last Tuesday]. She says it is just what clubs want, however no club has approached Salient to complain about our coverage.”

Meanwhile, the establishment of a rep group tailored to Vic media junkies has also been put forward.

The Victoria Student Media Group, the brainchild of VBC Managing Director Matthew Davis, would provide an avenue for media-savvy Vic students to sport their talents.

Other changes proposed for the AGM include the establishment of a New Zealand School of Music Rep Group, and amendments to a number of Association delegate titles.

The AGM will be held this Wednesday at 1pm at Mount Street Café and Bar.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future