Welfare officer’s column

exec

Hey everyone I’m Craig Carey, your new Acting Welfare Officer at VUWSA. Firstly, I’d like to take this opportunity to remind you about the Campus Angels service. Campus Angels are here to walk you home at night if you don’t feel safe, and stop you from being, you know, mugged or something. If you have been thinking about doing so, I strongly encourage you to give Campus Angels a try.

The VUWSA food bank is still running as usual. If you find yourself extra-short of money don’t hesitate to come and pick one up from the VUWSA office, ground floor, Student Union Building at Kelburn Campus, between 12 and 2pm weekdays. They are also available at Pipitea Campus, from room G08 OGB, between 9am and 2pm.

On another welfare related note, it is about the time that many students in Halls of Residence will have their final payments due. If you are having trouble finding the money for this talk to your halls management, they may be surprisingly willing to help sort something out. Also, Student Financial Support & Advice are always there to help you plan for that sort of thing. They have offices at every campus (including Karori); check out the VUW website for locations and hours.

Finally, the VUWSA Welfare team will soon be able to help you get money back from the government by way of tax returns; training for this will be taking place very soon. Keep an eye out for this and a series of other handy events being organised by the Welfare Team in the coming months. If you feel the need to talk about anything welfare related or otherwise, come see me a VUWSA. Hope everyone has a great rest of the trimester!

Craig Carey
Acting Welfare Officer
welfare.officer@vuwsa.org.nz