Girls Bust Out Their Support

You can too!

The Girl Guides do more than sell delicious biscuits. As you read this, girls from around the country are trying to stick it to the Aussies in a Guinness World Record Attempt by creating the longest chain of bras.

The Record Attempt was officially launched on Mother’s Day and is a way for the Guides to raise breast cancer awareness over the next six months.

“Breast cancer has affected many of Girl Guiding New Zealand’s leaders, sisters, mothers and friends.

“As the largest female-only organisation in New Zealand, we believe it is very important to raise awareness about the detection and prevention of breast cancer—both amongst our members and the wider community,” says Jane Smithson, Marketing and Advocacy Manager for Girl Guiding NZ.

Once the world record attempt is achieved, all of the highest quality bras will be sent to women in Africa, Haiti and the Pacific Islands as a way for the Guides to give back to girls and women overseas.

To beat the current Australian record holders, Guiding NZ has to collect more than 166,000 bras. They aim to get 200,000.

Girl Guides NZ are putting out the call to women all over New Zealand to donate their old bras to the cause.

The idea to create the bra chain was the brainchild of Dargaville Guide Leader Robyn Martinovich. She came across the record in her daughter’s Guinness World Record Book and from there the plan snowballed.

The bra chain has so far been met with huge support. About 3000 bras are sitting in a kumara shed in Dargaville. The website tally currently sits at 4138.

Smithson is very excited about the support the project is receiving from a variety of groups and organisations. “A bra has even been sent to us from England,” she says.

“Girl Guiding NZ appreciates any help we can get from your students to help us achieve this world record of the longest bra chain—and to beat the Australians who took three years to collect their bras. We only have six months!” says Smithson.

It doesn’t matter what condition or how old the bras are so bust out all those old ones from the back of your underwear drawer.

Salient will be collecting bras in their office in the Student Union Building to give to the Guides.

For more information you can visit www.brachain.co.nz

1. mary mcindoe says:

well done natalie

1. Dirty Money, Clean Woman
  2. Dear Nathaniel
  3. The Social Lives of Group Chats
  4. We Don’t Do Vegetables
  5. Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  6. Audit – Law Revue
  7. The Last Supper: VUW and VUWSA on KJ
  8. VUW’s Own Gloria Fraser Develops Queer Mental Health Resources
  9. Issue 21 – Default
  10. Biophilic buildings— ‘The living pā’ complex