May 24, 2010 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

The Improv Divas

So, the Improv Divas (the women-only wing of the rare WIT bird) are back. Are they funny? Of course they are. They’re the Improv Divas. They know how to kick the comedy pedal.

This year’s show is structured as a Gorilla-format show. The one of the Divas MCs (the night I attended it was the force of nature that is Karen Anslow) as the other four (Merrilee McCoy, Jen O’Sullivan, Christine Brooks, Chelsea Hughes) take turns directing improvised scenes, with the audience marking them as either a stiletto or ugg boot. (What? No Crocs?) At the end of the show the Diva with the most stilettos wins (on my night, Jen walked away as Queen Diva). Simple show, entertaining show. When they return you should go see them.

But. But but but… The Divas seem to be missing a trick. When your unique selling point is that you’re all women, there is some fun to be had with the inherent masculinity* of the improv genre that they’re missing out. They need to take their Diva-ishness to another level—they need a manifesto or a womanifesto—no playing men and the like.

The Improv Divas are funny. Now they just need to rule the world.

Tue 11 – Sat 15 May / 6:30pm / BATS

*This is, of course, when we consider it by the terms of écriture feminine—the field of literary criticism positing that different narrative shapes have different genders.

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine