A Wake-up Call in Wake of the Quake

While Wellington City Council’s disaster text alert scheme may have been a slight eye-roller just weeks ago, the Wellington Emergency Management Office (WEMO) has now heightened its disaster warning and relief procedures.

In light of Christchurch’s earthquake, the council are now focused on being prepared, says Mayor Kerry Prendergast.

“We can simply not afford to be complacent.”

A fleet of city council vehicles has been fitted with sirens and messages on how to proceed if a disaster strikes.

The government is urging the public to follow the council’s lead in preparing for a potential emergency immediately. The Regional Emergency Management Guide suggests that households make a disaster relief pack which includes non-perishable food and water for three days, torches, a radio and spare batteries, medication, a first aid kit, toilet paper and large plastic bags for a toilet, face dust masks and work gloves.

The public is also advised to check the location of water, electricity and gas meter boards, as these should be turned off during a disaster to prevent electrocution or spills.
The survival guide also suggests making a plan-of-action with family, flat mates and neighbours, including a home evacuation route and meeting place.

As Wellington sits on a prominent fault line, and has felt numerous quivers since the Christchurch whopper, there is no avoiding the phrase-of-the-week:“It’s not a matter of if, but when.”