Students Face Massive Fees at Massey

Students at Massey University will have to fork out more to stay at university in 2011.

The Massey University Council recently approved a four per cent increase in tuition fees for next year. This is the proposed maximum allowable increase set by the government.
Massey is one of three universities to increase its fees for 2011 by the full allowance of four per cent.

Students will be hit in other areas too, with increases to the student services levy (47.5 per cent), scholarship levy and enrolment fees also approved by the council. The increases across the board mean that on average, students face a ten per cent increase to study at Massey in 2011.

Massey University Extramural Students’ Society (EXMSS) President Ralph Springett says that students enrolling for next year will be hit with an increase of more than $500 because of government changes to the tertiary sector.

“Reduced Government funding, performance measures and capped student numbers are the drivers for these fee rises.”

New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) expects that most tertiary providers will follow suit with maximum increases to fees for 2011.

VUWSA President Max Hardy told the Student Forum last Monday that if students care about “high quality, reputable, accessible, and affordable education”, then they should take some responsibility for it.

Victoria’s University Council has not yet made a decision on whether there will be a fee increase next year.