Going bananas for Fair Trade

The past fortnight has seen the celebration of all things fair trade. Events, activities and promotions have taken place across Wellington and the country for Fair Trade Fortnight.

The Fair Trade Association of Australia and New Zealand seek to spread the word about the difference swapping to fair trade certified products can make to producers in developing countries.

Victoria University celebrated Fair Trade Fortnight by hosting events on campus.

Oxfam New Zealand Executive Director Barry Coates spoke at the ‘Do Something’ event at Ramsey House on the topic ‘How fair is free trade in the Pacific?’

Victoria University International Relations Lecturer Dr Ben Thirkell-White chaired the discussion, which raised issues around the new free trade agreement between Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Island Forum—PACER Plus (Pacific Agreement on Closer Economic Relations).

Mr Coates dealt with issues surrounding development in the Pacific and Oxfam’s efforts to lobby the New Zealand government to produce a fairer agreement for the Pacific Islands. He believes Pacific Island states are being exploited by New Zealand and Australia and emphasised the potential the region has for economic growth.

Victoria International Development Society also participated in the fortnight of events by hosting ‘Oxfam’s Biggest Coffee Break on Campus’ last week, where a stall gave away freshly brewed fair trade L’Affare coffee.

Other events have taken place across the city, including Global Poverty Project’s Scavenger Hunt where the winning team went bananas over their prize—a year’s supply of ‘All Good’ fair-trade bananas.

1. Destrey says:

That’s a posting full of isnihgt!