Daddy, I want my grades NOW!

Many Victoria students were left frustrated as they began Trimester Two without knowing their final grades for Trimester One courses.

Salient has heard from students in BMSC/BIOL 349 whose course grades were not posted until the evening of 11 of July, the first Monday of the trimester. Others, in LAWS 308 and PHYS 132, were still waiting for their grades on Tuesday.

This delay breaks University policy which states course grades must be returned by “the Wednesday prior to Tri 2.”

“It’s not affecting me majorly, as it was just an interest paper, but it’s still really frustrating. The Uni haven’t told me anything,” one affected student told Salient.
“It’d be interesting to know whether cost cutbacks have had anything to do with reducing the number of people involved with the marking process and if that has anything to do with it,” he continues.

VUWSA President Seamus Brady is similarly frustrated with the delayed return of grades.

“The University have broken their policy which is very disappointing – the deadline for posting course grades was July 6 at 5pm.”
Pam Thorburn, Director Student Academic Services, urges students to contact their faculty if they have still not received their grades.

“Currently enrolled students have until the end of the second week of trimester to add or drop courses. If any student still doesn’t have their grades they should contact their faculty office immediately,” says Thorburn.

VUWSA are also taking an active role in solving the problem.
“We’re working with Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Academic) in resolving cases we’re already aware of,” says Brady.

Brady also urges those affected to get in touch with VUWSA.
“I urge any students who have experienced delays in getting their grades back, to get in touch with VUWSA directly. That way we can take these concerns directly to the University and sort them out.”