Lovin’ From The Oven – Lovin’ Lessons

Occasionally things don’t go as planned in the kitchen, it happens to the best of us.

THIS EVENING WAS one of those times. An apple ginger upside-down cake from a beautiful Aunt Daisy cookbook my grandma gave me defeated me. I am not too sure quite what went wrong, but when I get it right, I’ll be sure to share the recipe I have always loved the hilarious ‘beaut brainwaves’ in That’s Life magazine, so instead this week we have a list of hints that have helped me get by in the kitchen. Let’s call them ‘Lovin’ Lessons’.

• If you’re pitting olives, the quickest and easiest way to do it is to squish the olive with the flat side of a knife and then rip the stone out with your hands. After squishing it, it’s a million times easier to get the stone out.
• Yoghurt which has passed it use by date is top notch for baking, don’t throw it out, throw it in a yummy lemon yoghurt cake!
• If you don’t have a sieve, never fear! Either give your dry ingredients a really good going-over with a fork, or if you are making a recipe that doesn’t risk over mixing, use an electric beater, too easy.
• If you’re into cooking with a bit of mince and want to make it go a little further, add grated carrot or courgette to your bolognaise/shepherds’ pie/burger patties to bulk them out and make them just that little bit healthier.
• If you make a roast chicken, make it go further by making a stock with the carcass. Simply pop in a pot with a litre of cold water, a carrot and an onion (leave skin on) both chopped in half, two bay leaves and some pepper. Boil for about an hour, let cool and strain. Now you have a cheap stock with no nasties to use as a base for soup.
• And my newest trick I discovered just this week to help with making bread at home in colder weather. It says to let it rise somewhere warm, but a toasty spot is hard to come by at this time of year, especially in a student flat. Heat a wheat-bag and set the bowl/tray on top of this when leaving your dough to rise. It works at treat.

1. Dirty Money, Clean Woman
  2. Dear Nathaniel
  3. The Social Lives of Group Chats
  4. We Don’t Do Vegetables
  5. Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  6. Audit – Law Revue
  7. The Last Supper: VUW and VUWSA on KJ
  8. VUW’s Own Gloria Fraser Develops Queer Mental Health Resources
  9. Issue 21 – Default
  10. Biophilic buildings— ‘The living pā’ complex