Victoria Debating Society Hog the Joynt

Victoria University’s Debating society hit the jackpot during the semester break, winning the Joynt Scroll for a sixth consecutive year.

Held this year at Canterbury University, the Joynt Scroll is the New Zealand universities’ prepared debating championships, and is competed for annually by Auckland, Otago, Victoria, Canterbury and Waikato universities.

Other teams watched on green with envy as two Victoria teams debated the moot “That we should abolish all government restrictions and ratings on the content of entertainment media.”

Victoria 2, consisting of Nick Cross, Duncan McLachlan and Holly Jenkins, took out the competition, with Victoria 1, consisting of Asher Emanuel, Richard D’Ath and Paul Smith, placing second. Victoria teams 3 and 4 placed 11th and 7th respectively.

As well as first and second placings, Victoria blazed other areas of the tournament, with Smith winning Best Speaker and McLachlan highly commended. Smith was also selected for the New Zealand debating team alongside D’Ath, with Emanuel selected as a reserve. Judges Ollie Neas, Julia Wells, Cross and Jenkins were accredited at the competition. While Seb Templeton smoked the competition, winning the award for Best Adjudicator.

Victoria University have consistently achieved highly at the tournament, with this year’s victory marking the Debating Society’s 47th win since the Joynt Scroll’s inception in 1902.
Posting to their Facebook page, the society were blunt about their success, describing their winning streak as “Lance Armstrong-esque”.

1. Dirty Money, Clean Woman
  2. Dear Nathaniel
  3. The Social Lives of Group Chats
  4. We Don’t Do Vegetables
  5. Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  6. Audit – Law Revue
  7. The Last Supper: VUW and VUWSA on KJ
  8. VUW’s Own Gloria Fraser Develops Queer Mental Health Resources
  9. Issue 21 – Default
  10. Biophilic buildings— ‘The living pā’ complex