March 19, 2012 | by  | in Arts Film |

French Film Festival

After the recent deluge of quality films, movie goers now also have a forthcoming festival with which to indulge their love of the motion picture. For those who adore French cinema, the French Film Festival provides an excellent opportunity to see films that are not generally shown outside France.

Unfortunately, from your humble critic’s point of view the line-up seems somewhat lacklustre. There is a prevalence of insubstantial romantic films, but hardly any dramas. This may just be a matter of personal taste but it irks me nonetheless. However there are still a few films that intrigued me, and which you would do well to see.

A film that has garnered a heap of critical acclaim is Valerie Donzelli’s Declaration of War. It depicts a couple struggling to deal with the news that their son has a brain tumour. French critics have raved about this film and it was even selected as France’s entry for the Best Foreign Language Oscar. It looks to be the highlight of the festival, in this critic’s opinion.

Another interesting film is House of Tolerance, centred around the last days of a Parisian brothel. Hopefully, the film will provide an emotionally sensitive view of its subject matter rather than indulging in bountiful bosoms. If so then this could be a touching and rewarding piece of cinema.

My Piece of the Pie has the potential to be an adorable comedy which examines the relationship between a cleaner and financial trader. Provided the film manages to avoid drivel about the benevolent trader uplifting one of the common folk this should be a memorable watch.

If you are more interested in something light and whimsical then perhaps A Cat in Paris may satisfy you. An animated feature about a cat that lives a double life, it looks set to bridge the age divide by delighting children and even the most cynical adults like myself. If you have ever enjoyed a Pixar film then I strongly urge you to go see it.

All films are showing at the Paramount. The Festival continues until 25th March.   

10. International Queer in Review